WORKS IN CONJUCTION WITH:
SmartKem employees, contractors and customers
The Principal Field Applications Engineer will report to the CTO and will support demonstration and validation of the performance of SmartKem materials and processes in customers’ facilities. They will work closely with the commercial team in Asia to help build and support a pipeline of business for SmartKem.
- Taking care of company's portfolio of customers and jointly develop the customer base for Taiwan with the international BD & Sales team.
- Coordinate delegation trips, guide European sales/management delegations to customers, accompany Taiwanese delegations to overseas exhibitions and / or plant visits.
- Working with customers to demonstrate and transfer device fabrication test and analysis using SmartKem’s materials at customers’ facilities in Asia.
- Feed back any problems a customer has to both teams to help highlight issues in materials or process for that material set.
- Providing advice to the CPI integration team for integration of OTFT into different device structures or applications.
- To provide the guidance and direction for the team in both Manchester and CPI and ensure that customer problems are understood fully and solved in accordance with the timescales and specifications of the customers.
- Maintaining a roadmap for customer’s needs in the use of OTFT for a range of applications, particularly flexible displays or other plastic based electronic devices enabled by OTFT.
- Building up and maintaining a database of information relating to commercial drivers for the use of OTFT and the technical requirements for materials. This will include making assessments of material usage and their benefits that will help the commercial team in the pricing strategy.
- Highlighting commercial opportunities to the sales and marketing team and senior management at SmartKem.
- Building local links to academic and/or other personnel who can help SmartKem to develop better knowledge and capabilities to improve device performance and reliability.
- Mentoring team members to maximize the opportunities and achieve success in projects.
Knowledge and Skills required
- Excellent knowledge of industrial display backplane fabrication for both inorganic and organic (pilot).
- OTFT device physics and materials chemistry.
- Design of oTFT devices and test structures relevant for oTFT device and process characterisation.
- Organic electronic device failure mode and analysis experience.
- Language skills – Fluent Mandarin Chinese, Taiwanese Hokkien and a good level of English is required (IELTS approximate level 6).
- Must have worked in a display backplane manufacturing or pilot development environment.
- Appropriate experience as an oTFT device engineer/scientist in an academic or R&D environment.
- Plan ahead, anticipate and solve problems. Must manage own time without the need for frequent managerial intervention.
- A natural leader who leads by example.
- Someone who takes ownership and responsibility for customers’ problems and motivates others to deliver solutions to meet the customers’ needs.
- Sets themselves challenging goals and targets.
- Flexibility to be able to react to changes in demands and process requirements is a key personal attribute for this position.
- Has an open mind to go beyond the obvious and seek out more information.
- Ability to understand cause and effects of decision making at all levels.
- Due diligent in their approach to planning tasks and time management.
- Excellent communication on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
Please note the above sections relate to the job and are not an exhaustive list. The jobholder will be expected to carry out additional tasks as identified by the line manager on an as required basis
- Minimum BSc in a Physical Science (Physics, Chemistry), Electronic Engineering or Materials Science.
- The position is based in Taiwan.
- Occasional travel within the UK, EU and to other regions within Asia will be required.